Break-neck Speed – almost literally!

I have been wanting to post for days, but it seems the moments are flying by, and the quiet moments are so very rare!  This quiet moment may be brief, but I feel I must update as so many things have been going on over here!

We had both Mama and Daddy to the doctor, which I shared last time, and Daddy seems to be improving.  Mama was also improving, having absolutely great days and better nights, which meant I was having better nights!

I knew to was going too good! 

Wednesday night was probably the most difficult one we’d had since Mama has been taking a very small dose of Valium to help her sleep.  It wasn’t as bad as we’ve had in the past, but she had slept much of the day, so even though she was really tired, she didn’t sleep well.  She was also slightly more confused than she had been in her week since her doctor visit.  She got up around 11:30, forgetting where/how to go the the bathroom by herself.  The intercom picks up moderate to loud noises, but if Mama doesn’t talk, or bump something, I don’t hear her.  That has been perfect for the most part, because Mama can use her bedside potty fairly well at night, and I put it close to her so she doesn’t actually have to walk to get to it.  Then, if she gets up 5 times at night just to potty, I don’t have to wake up with her.  If she needs me, I can hear her talking or calling out.

Well, Wednesday night she walked right past the potty to come find me to help her go to the bathroom.  She didn’t know where it was! (The human mind amazes me – in it’s best and worst states!)  I didn’t hear her because she didn’t talk – just walked out of her room and got Dad to go get me!  Another issue with our intercom is that it buzzes, sometimes very loudly.  So there are occasions that noises she makes might come through, but not louder than the buzzing.  Bill has fixed the buzzing since our Wednesday/Thursday episode!

Anyway, after fussing at her (very lightly, not angry at all) about walking around at night, I helped her get back in bed and didn’t hear another sound out of her at all.  But at about 3:00 a.m., the intercom began buzzing got so loudly that I had to turn it off!  We just couldn’t get it to stop!  Mama had been asleep for awhile, so I thought all was safe. 

Boy, was that a mistaken assumption!  I got up Thursday, got ready for work, and then took Molly to get in bed with Mama as I do every morning.  When I opened the door, Mama was not in bed, so I thought she was using the potty.  But I looked over and the potty chair was turned sideways, empty, and Mama was sitting on the floor behind it!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea what the story is, but piecing it together what we think happened is this:  Mama somehow knocked over the potty chair, probably falling with it.  Evidently she set it back up, but couldn’t get up herself.  I had to pick her up, but was able to get her in bed.  She cried out – not too badly, just a little as she was laying down – but settled into bed and seemed just fine.  I called Jeanne and asked her to check Mama out more thoroughly when she got here, which she did.  Mama was having trouble walking, and was much more confused than usual.  We made an appointment at the doctor, but ended up in the Emergency Room.  After thorough examination and X-rays, it was determined that nothing was broken or fractured, for which we were really relieved. 

Mama continued to have trouble walking, was weak as a cat, and really, really afraid of walking, standing, thinking she might fall.  She was also still pretty confused.  I managed to have her stay awake until nine, then got her into bed very easily.  I moved the potty chair so it was closer and against furniture on 2 sides, hoping she couldn’t push it over again.  I asked Jeanne about giving Mama her Valium dose last night, and we just weren’t sure, because Mama does have a tendency to accumulate medicines because of her low kidney function.  We decided I could give it to her after I got the house shut down for the night if she seemed to need it, but otherwise we’d be okay if we skipped a night.  When I went back in to her room to say goodnight and see if she needed the medicine, she was laying on her side, fast asleep!!!  That may not sound like anything to you, but the only time I see my Mama laying on her side fast asleep is in the morning – never at night.  Like me, Mama has always been a night owl, and although she is usually ready to go to bed around 8:30 or 9:00, she NEVER goes to sleep until after midnight or even later!

Last night, Mama was asleep by 9:30, and never woke up all night – not even to use the restroom!!  We’re talking A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!!!  She woke up this morning in a good humor, is walking much better, although still a bit sore, and is very talkative and alert.  I am so thankful!  She is still her confused self, but not bad like she was yesterday.  One of her eyes appears to be slightly swollen, but I don’t see any bruising, so I don’t know if it is just from hard sleeping, or if she bumped it.  I am thinking, and will consult with Jeanne, that maybe we should only give Mama the Valium every other night.  We already halve the pills, but like I said, she has a history of accumulating meds in her body, so perhaps even less would be better.  Anyway, we’ll see how it goes, and I so appreciate the prayers y’all have sent on behalf of Mama and the rest of us.

There has also been another upheaval in our family this past week, which has been emotionally draining, and more than a little scary.  I won’t go into all the details, since my post today is already so long, but my Tater has been greatly troubled by a stalker. 

This all began while she was in college, and we noticed that one of her friends became overly possessive and then very “bipolar” in her treatment of Pamela.  She dealt Pamela misery after their first semester of being “best friends,” and even after this girl was kicked out of the school, continued to harass Pamela with phone calls.  We finally got Pamela a new phone, and all was quiet for a few months.  Then Pamela’s friends began getting phone calls and emails from this girl, asking for Pamela’s phone number and address! 

Pam’s friends had enough sense to withhold personal info, so everything has been quiet until recently.  Although Pamela and Will do not have a blog or any social network ties, this girl was able to find enough info about Pamela’s life through Facebook from Pam’s friends and family that she discerned where Pamela works.  She has now begun calling Pamela almost daily at work, leaving messages or holding her on the phone with her rants.  It’s been awful, not only because of the scary/odd part but also because Pamela, like her Mama, absolutely hates conflict and confrontation.  She keeps wishing this can be resolved, but the other girl is simply not rational!  Pamela says she talks crazy, like she might even show up and DO something rather than just talk!

Will spoke to this girl (the office phone through which she contacts Pamela has caller ID) and after much listening on his part and ranting on her part, told her not to contact Pamela again.  To which she replied, “I will do what I want to!”  And proceeded to call Pamela again.

One of the contacts this girl made to find Pamela was our Emily.  Pamela has decided that Emily is her hero!  Emily plainly told this girl the reasons she would not give out Pamela’s information, told her what she knew about the situation, and eventually the girl got so fed up with Emily’s reasonings that she actually BLOCKED Emily, rather than the other way around!  Since that time, Pamela has not been contacted anymore.  I don’t know how long it will last, but hopefully we are done.

This entire episode cause me to wonder about my own blog.  I have never blocked anyone from reading my Xanga.  I don’t even turn off the RSS feed, whatever that is!  I’ve always loved making new friends, and in addition to that aspect of a blog, I’ve hoped that folks reading my posts would somehow see Jesus in my life, as boring and ordinary as it is, and that HE would be the focal point. 

Pamela was located because her name was connected to someone else’s Facebook.  Could she or someone els be found through my words?  How far do we take privacy?  It is a hard question for me.  What do you think about this privacy issue?  How far do we take it?

Anyway, this is just a bit of my last couple of weeks.  I’m hoping my days go back to being boring and ordinary for awhile!  No more emergency rooms or stalkers, thankyouverymuch!  This is my last weekend in the 5 week series of missing church.  Next week Jeanne and I go back to every other Sunday parent duty, and I am so looking forward to that!  I am also SOOOO looking forward to going to Florida to visit my Tater and Will for Thanksgiving!  We get to be there from Wednesday to Sunday of Thanksgiving week!  What a joy that will be!

I am needing to close this – it is much too long as it is!  Mama and Daddy are napping, so I think I will try to do some room cleaning in my part of the house.  We’ll see how far I get!!

Oh, and here are some photos from Glen Rose – posed shots we got of both the Bill Pettys and the Nathanael Pettys!

Bill Pettys

Us and Grandkids1

Us and Grandkids 4

Us and Grandkids 3

Us and Grandkids 2

Petty Families pic

Bo's Family Pics

God bless your day!



About Petty Bunch

The Petty Bunch is what we have called our family since Bill and I (Janina) began our family back in the early 1980s. We have gone down many roads together - homeschooling our kiddoes, enjoying the freedom of entrepreneurship many years, working at "real jobs" other years. Through it all, we have been loved with God's everlasting love, and have found that underneath are His everlasting arms! We are blessed to have been married for over 36 years, and have 3 incredible adult children, a wonderful daughter-in-law, an amazing son-in-law, and SEVEN grandchildren: four precious granddaughters, three handsome grandsons - so far. We are empty nesters, still enjoy the life of an entrepreneur and the freedom it gives us to continue enjoying our kids and now, their kids!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Break-neck Speed – almost literally!

  1. ABAHM says:

    Happy photos.  I am so glad your mom didn’t break anything.  I found Grandpa on the floor once when he lived with us, and it was so alarming.  Isn’t it hard, like having a little one, you have to make educated deductions about how they feel and what will work, just harder to contain the elderly.  I think they have good and bad days, and it sounds like a good plan to try every other day with the meds. I think if you try to keep last names off your blog it is a good idea.  I would only use first names for prayer requests on our church website because google would pick up the names with last names.  Praying this resolves, otherwise a restraining order is needed. Hugs to you!

  2. I am so glad to hear that Mamaw is still doing well. It’s such a scary thing for the elderly to fall! Thanks for your watch-care over her, Mama.And hooooo boy. I just wish that I’d had the courage to be a bit more…strident? forceful? insulting? with that young woman. It felt like an appropriate set of responses to her unstable thoughts, but still. *sigh* I’m just glad Pam is okay, and she’s not been bothered with this nuttiness for a few days. 

  3. Oh, my!  You have quite a week!  So glad that your mom is okay.  You are such a wonderful daughter!  I love the pictures!

  4. Those are terrific pictures, I love family photos. I’ve been on to my hubby for sometime now that we need to go have some family pics made. He’s going to do it before Christmas, he just doesn’t know it yet.So sorry to hear about the episode with your mom. I don’t know the situation really but I was wondering if anyone had ever had her checked for a stroke. I only ask because I have 2 very sick grandparents & when the confusion got worse with one of them it was found he had a stroke. Like you said the symptoms were extreme confusion, weakness, unability to be very mobile, etc. Just thought I’d mention it to you. Taking care of parents is tough. As you know my momma does it daily. I think yesterday makes about 14 days she hasnt even been home. I pray for you all the time, pray for your continued strength and for the well being of your parents. I am sure they very much appreciate everything you do for them.Stalker, that is scary stuff. Tell your girl to be careful as people can be quite crazy these days. As far as privacy, I do make my profile private. I’m on friends lock on here and on FB. Mostly it has to do with my kids as I don’t want their photo posted around the net everywhere. My daughter has her own FB site too but hers is also set to privacy. I think you just have to do what you feel comfortable with. I know it is harder being private & having to add people so they are able to view your site. If things don’t slack up with your daughter though, I might consider it just for awhile if I were you. I hope you have a terrific weekend. So glad to hear you have Thanksgiving plans! You need the break 🙂

  5. pettybunch says:

    @fortheloveofblogging – Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, especially for my Mama.  The doctors have and do check her for strokes during all this – even at the emergency room this week they were checking her for symptoms of stroke – but so far it seems she simply has dementia and severe arthritis, etc.  Dementia is also a family issue – I sure feel for my own kids if/when it happens to me!!We love our annual family pic, except that our immediate family is getting smaller and smaller, and our married kids are so far away!  Tell your hubby from one who knows – they won’t always be there with you, and the family photos sure give lots of memories.  Especially if they are relaxed and fun.Have a great weekend!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s